Digest for March 2007
Every month I publish a digest for subscribers who are would rather take their //engtech in infrequent chugs rather than frequent sips. This one is kind of large because it’s been six weeks since my last Digest.
Internet Identity, Career and Privacy
- Is your web identity a help or a hindrance to your employability?
Some thoughts on reputation management, blogging and job searches.
- How to use Facebook without Losing Your Job over it
Featured on Lifehacker. Facebook usage is exploding in Canada, but are you aware of how much information is public?
Tools for Bloggers
- Tag Cloud Generator for WordPress.com
Tag Clouds for WordPress.com and WordPressMU bloggers who can’t use plugins.
- Get RSS Updates when your Site is Submitted to Digg or Reddit (using Yahoo Pipes)
- Hack – Display Your Technorati Rank in a Sidebar RSS Widget (using Dapper + Yahoo Pipes)
- Broadcasting RSS Feeds with Twitterbot in Less Than 5 Minutes
Twitter global instant messenger is a great way to stay connected with news (faster than blogs). Here’s some tips on broadcasting your RSS feeds on Twitter.
- The Biggest Mistake a Blog Can Make is Not Owning Its Own Name
Part of DailyBlogTips’ Blogging Mistakes group writing project.
- Website Analysis – Phil Gerbyshak’s Make It Great
Part of SOAP – Scratch One Another Program. A look a one blogger’s website with suggestions on improvement.
- SOAP and The Importance of Hallway Usability Testing
Part of SOAP – Scratch One Another Program. //engtech gets SOAPed. Suggestions on improving this blog.
- Design Tips: Website Speed Optimization for Dummies
Save reader’s time and optimize your website so that it loads faster.
RSS – Really Simple Syndication
- I display my FeedBurner subscribers count because I don’t have a choice…
Part of Maki’s FeedBurner meme. The reasons why I use the FeedBurner RSS service.
- The Secret Behind Why Blog Readers Unsubscribe
Response to Problogger.net. A look at how RSS reader software influences how people subscribe to feeds.
- Request for Comments: Which RSS Reader and Why?
Why do readers use the RSS software they do?
Contests / Group Writing Projects
- Group Writing Project #3 — Theme = T-shirts or Movies (Win Free t-shirts contest for bloggers)
My latest group writing project. Win t-shirts and WordPress.com credits.
- 5 Things Draws to an End
The results from my second group writing project.
- My favorite entries from Contest #1
My favorites from the first group writing project / contest.
Comics and Humour
- This is Harold
Harold loves the movie 300.
- Global Warming 2007
Harold wonders wtf is up with this winter?
- How to Create LOLCats aka MemeCat aka Kittah aka Cat Macros
April 1st post.
- Automatic Documentation of Python Code using Doxygen
Tutorial on getting started with using Doxygen to generate code docs of Python scripts.
- Getting Started with Google Code Hosting, Subversion, and TortoiseSVN without feeling like an Idiot
Tutorial on setting up a Subversion client on Windows and using it to connect to the free Google Code Hosting.
- The Missing Curriculum for Programmers and High Tech Workers
Tongue-in-cheek look at what courses are missing in university cirriculum. Featured at a seminar and in some university courses.
- My Top Must Have Firefox Extensions
- What’s a URL to do? — How to Save URLs
Most social bookmarking systems suck at distinguishing the same URL.
- Five Ways to Fix Digg’s Comment System
Featured on Digg. Digg has the most useless flamewars in the comments… how can it be fixed?
- Cyber-bullying – Not just for teenagers
Kathy Sierra saga. Is being minor internet celebrity enough of a reason to be singled out and harassed?
- Windows XP Logon Screen with No User Accounts?
My computer drives me nuts.
- Best of Feeds – 20 links – blog, development, programming, blogging, technology, hightech
- Best of Feeds – 27 links – blogging, google, tips, development, alist, howto
- Best of Feeds – 21 links – blogging, development, twitter, blog, web2.0, socialsoftware
- Best of Feeds – 30 links – software, google, startup, humor, programming, tips
- Best of Feeds – 47 links – programming, blogging, career, blog, interview, fizzbuzz
- Most Popular Posts for February 2007
- From the Vault: Making the Most Out of Tagging
- Best of Feeds – 15 links – blogging, google, reader, photo, windows, orthogonality
Last time: Digest for February 2007