This is my collection of tips and tricks for running a WordPress.com blog and programs/scripts I have written to make blogging easier.
Tips and Tricks – Table of Contents
- General Blogging Tips
- WordPress.com Specific Blogging Tips
- WordPress.com Theme Review
Tools – Table of Contents
WordPress.com does not allow installation of plug-ins (or themes) so it can only be modified with 3rd party applications running on your computer.
- Downloadable Programs
- Greasemonkey browser extensions for Firefox
- WordPress Category Resizer – three column layout for add categories
- Akismet Auntie Spam – resize the view of the Akismet spam box to see more spam per page
- How NOT to be a Successful Blogger — What I Did Wrong
- 5 Habits for Writing for the Web
- 20 Tips for Blogging
- Building an Audience / incoming links
- Understanding Tagging
- 3 Surefire Ways to Advertise Your Blog on a Shoe String
- 5 Reasons Blogging Leads to the Unemployment Line (You’re Fired!)
- The Biggest Mistake a Blog Can Make is Not Owning Its Own Name
- For Those Who Are New to the WordPress.com Support Forums
- The WordPress.com FAQ
- Insert line breaks in compose mode with Shift-Enter.
- Check stats quickly at m.WordPress.com
- Creating a digest post
- Reduce Spam by Blacklisting .info and .biz
- Too much Spam – Akismet Auntie Spam for WordPress.com (Greasemonkey Script)
- Why you should use FeedBurner instead of the default blog feed
WordPress.com Widgets and Sidebars
- >> WordPress Widgets Wizardry – how to use sidebar widgets
- Installing the MyBlogLog widget to see who is reading your blog
- Using Splashcast multimedia sideshow widgets (text, sound, photos, video)
- Create a link to random posts on your blog
- Display your Technorati rank in your sidebar using an RSS widget
Domain Name registration
- WordPress.com domain registration explained
- Why you should own your own domain name
- CSS Tip: Building 3D Buttons with CSS for the Sandbox Theme
- CSS Tip: Design for Sandbox Theme in a sandbox
Other Blogs About WordPress
These blogs cover WordPress and WordPress.com.
WordPress.com Tag Cloud Generator
- Want to display all of your categories/tags on a single page as a tag cloud? You need my Tag Cloud Generator for WordPress.com program.
- Tag Cloud Generator connects to your WordPress.com account, downloads information about your tags/categories and generates HTML code you can cut-and-paste into a blog post or a blog page. It’s not as simple as running a plug-in, but it is the only solution available for WordPress.com bloggers who want a tag cloud.
WordPress.com Theme Review
- Tired of switching themes only to find out days later that there’s a bug with it, or it doesn’t support some feature that your depend on in your writing? You need to take a look at the WordPress.com Theme Review.
- It lists all of the features (and bugs) of the various WordPress.com themes.
- 4 themes are reviewed each week.
- At the end, an Excel spreadsheet will be released with all of the information.
WordPress Category Resizer (Greasemonkey)
- Too many categories getting you down? Tired of only being able to look at 10 or 12 categories at once? You need the WordPress Category Resizer.
- It is a Greasemonkey script for Firefox that moves the category list when editting/creating posts.
- The categories are moved underneath the text box.
- Three columns are displayed at once with no scrollbar.
- Adding new categories still works.
Akismet Auntie Spam (Greasemonkey)
- Is your Akismet inbox filled to the brim with spam? Do you ignore it instead of checking for missed comments? You need Akismet Auntie Spam for WordPress.com.
- It is a Greasemonkey script for Firefox that greatly reduces the amount of text displayed on the screen.
- Moves navigation bar to the bottom instead of the top.
- Reduces text size.
- Truncates long comments.
- Click to open a popup with full comment.
- With Akismet Auntie Spam you can go from 3-6 comments per screen of text to 17-20 comments per screen of text.
Find Images that are Too Wide and Break your Blog Theme (Greasemonkey)
- Does your blog theme break in Internet Explorer 6 because of images that are too wide? You need a script to find images that break your theme.
- It is a Greasemonkey script for Firefox that warns you if your blog theme will break in Internet Explorer 6.
- Warns if images are too big and will break your blog.
- Suggests dimensions for resizing images so they will fit.