Hack – Display Your Technorati Rank in a Sidebar RSS Widget (Dapper + Yahoo Pipes)
Of course, the interface to the Dapper RSS feed is less than stellar, which is where Yahoo Pipes comes in. Yahoo Pipes also lets me create several flavours depending on what people want.
1. Pick which ever of the following most appeals to you and click it.
- Technorati rank links to list of all blogs that link to you
- Technorati rank links to “Add to my favorites”
- Technorati rank is not linked
- Technorati rank followed by two letters (0th, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc)
- Want a slightly different flavour? Leave a comment here. You can also favorite me.
2. Change the URL to your blog. Add any text you want to appear before or after the rank. Click Run Pipe.
3. Copy the RSS feed link.
4. Cut-and-paste the RSS feed link into a sidebar RSS widget and adjust it to only display 1 item.
I’m assuming you’re familiar with sidebar widgets. They’re under Dashboard >> Presentation >> Sidebar Widgets. More info.
You can also subscribe to that URL in your RSS reader to track your Technorati Rank changes. I have no idea how often the rank updates — maybe once a day?
If you find this useful please consider adding my blog as a Technorati favorite.
This was a fun project for myself to get familiar with Dapper and Yahoo Pipes. Neither of them are a complete solution on its own, but using Dapper as a web page scraper to create RSS inputs for Yahoo Pipes seems to be an optimal solution for glueing things together on the Internet.