Best of Feeds – 27 links – blogging, google, tips, development, alist, howto
Best of Feeds is a weekly series where I link to the stuff I found interesting from my feed reader. Links are sorted based on how many people have bookmarked them on del.icio.us. They are posted on Twitter as they happen and then collected together in a single post on Saturday. I don’t blog on the weekend so read these links instead.
This time I have 27 links from: 37signals, angryaussie, guykawasaki, webanalyticsdemystified, codinghorror, computer, consumerist, deepjiveinterests, dilbertblog, hyperorg, lifehacker, lundone, makeuseof, mattcutts, neomeme, paulstamatiou, publishing2, randsinrepose, readwriteweb, scottberkun, usrbingeek, violentacres, webomatica, webworkerdaily, winextra
- [GMAIL] Gmail Craze: 30 + Tools and Hacks for Gmail (makeuseof.com, 1396 saves)
- (gmail, google, Firefox, tips, greasemonkey, email)
- Huge list of Firefox extensions for Gmail
- [GCAL] Rock Your Google Calendar in 18 Ways (webworkerdaily.com, 860 saves)
- (google, calendar, tips, howto, tricks)
- Google Calendar tips
- [MOBILE] Alpha Geek: 10 cool cell phone tricks (lifehacker.com, 392 saves)
- (cellphone, mobile, phone, lifehacks, lifehacker)
- From the article: ” With the right software and services, your phone can perform a startling array of fun and practical functions.”
- [WRITING] Make Microsoft Word less annoying (lifehacker.com, 300 saves)
- (word, Microsoft, tips, office)
- The default settings on Microsoft Word suck if you’re trying to write anything for the web.
- [CROWDS] Crowdsourcing: A Million Heads is Better than One (readwriteweb.com, 287 saves)
- (crowdsourcing, Web2.0, community, business, cambrianhouse)
- Looking at some crowdsourcing companies including Cambrian House.
- [MP3] How I Became A Music Pirate (consumerist.com, 217 saves)
- (music, DRM, RIAA, mp3, piracy)
- From the article: ” Oh wait. It’s not free music that drives some people to piracy, it’s the lack of a quality product from legitimate music sources.”
- [CODE] Top 6 List of Programming Top 10 Lists (codinghorror.com, 202 saves)
- (programming, lists, development)
- Some good links.
- [INTERVIEWS] A Phone Screen is Just The Sanity Check (randsinrepose.com, 22 saves)
- (hiring, howto, interview, rands)
- From the article: ” You got a phone screen and a phone screen has little to do with an interview. While your situation isn’t as tenuous as the 30 seconds you have to make an impression with your resume, you’re still not in the building and nothing real is happening unt”
- [MEDIA] Is Content Still A Business? (publishing2.com, 14 saves)
- (content, media, trends)
- You could argue that the most striking consequence of digitizing media and distributing it online is that all content is now available in a discrete, granual form. Music file. Article page. Video clip. Podcast. Photo. There are very few places on the web
- [TWITTER] 75 Links That Rock Twitter! What are you doing? (usrbingeek.com, 13 saves)
- (twitter, apps, web2.0, scripts, links)
- Lots of twitter stuff including twitter scripts for almost any programming language.
- [ENGINEERING] Why research labs fail at innovation (scottberkun.com, 11 saves)
- (engineering, research, development)
- From the article: ” I studied how research labs in established companies work and many miss the point: I posit that labs succeed or fail because of relationships with product teams and their VPs and not their technological brilliance or war chest of breakthrough ideas.”
- [BOOKS] Excerpts from Stephen King’s “On Writing” (37signals.com, 11 saves)
- (stephen, king, books, writing)
- This one has been sitting on the bookshelf forever. I should get to reading it.
- [BLOGS] The A-List dirty little secret (winextra.com, 11 saves)
- (blogging, blogs, technorati, technology, alist)
- From the article: ” Out of the 34 tech related blogs of the Top 100 I found that 21 of them are monetized in one fashion or another so I think it would be safe to assume that the remaining 3,900 blogs of the A-List are proportionately monetized as well.”
- [SUPPORT] The Joy of Righteous Indignation (dilbertblog.typepad.com, 11 saves)
- (complaining, humor, management, psychology, customer, service)
- From the article: ” Experts say that the most loyal customers are not the ones who had a flawless experience, but the ones who had a problem that was resolved. I think they’re right. I would use that hotel again in a heartbeat.”
- [FF] Convert Firefox tabs to links using CopyAllUrls (mattcutts.com, 10 saves)
- (firefox, links, tabs)
- Useful extension for creating a link list of all open tabs.
- [DOOCED] Fired simply for having a blog (hyperorg.com, 8 saves)
- (blogging, blogs, dooced)
- His employer fired him for having a blog, even though he never mentioned his employer, his real name, or talked about work.
- [FUNNY-SEX] Oh Deer (dilbertblog.typepad.com, 8 saves)
- (sex, funny, deer, beastiality)
- From the article: ” It’s one thing to lose your guy to a cheerleader, but it really has to sting when you lose your guy to road kill.”
- [DESIGN] Worried about page views dying? Don’t be. (blog.webanalyticsdemystified.com, 3 saves)
- (web, analytics)
- Don’t measure by page views or by unique visitors — measure by HTTP sessions.
- [BOOKS] ArseMail: The ARSE Followup (blog.guykawasaki.com, 3 saves)
- (books, buzz, marketing, amazon)
- How one book successfully leveraged blogs to get between #8 and #15 on the Amazon top sales.
- [APPLETV] Apple TV Hacked, Plays Everything (paulstamatiou.com, 3 saves)
- (appletv, hack, media, hdtv, hdmi)
- From the article: ” With the newfound capabilities I might be convinced. $300 for a OS X media device with HDMI/component outputs and WiFi – not bad at all.”
- [CYBERDRAMA] L’undone (lundone.blogspot.com, 3 saves)
- (addiction, blog, hate, love, online, soapopera)
- What happens when your wife and your ex-girlfriend are both bloggers. Scary glimpses in how easy it is to cross the line into doing things on the Internet that might be grounds for criminal actions in real life. Engaging.
- [FAME] Human Nature Makes People Assholes; Not the Internet (violentacres.com, 3 saves)
- (internet, trolls, fame, violentacres)
- –If I’m somehow making you feel bad, it’s because you are letting me. You are giving me that power. The only way I could make you feel bad is if you placed more importance on my opinion than you do your own.–
- [BLOGS] A-list Epilogue: Just So We’re Clear — Its Not About Being A Better Blogger (deepjiveinterests.com, 2 saves)
- (news, alist, blogging, deepjiveinterests)
- From the article: ” When I refer to an –a-list– I am referring to a specific set of bloggers who can make, change, and report news and opinion on a different scale by virtue of who they are, who they know, and what they are actually doing.”
- [ALIST] The Blog A-List Exists and I can Prove It (neomeme.wordpress.com, 2 saves)
- (neomeme, blogging, scoble, calcanis, alist)
- I’m tired of all this “is there an a-list” crap as well, but I really enjoyed this post. Good research, and an even better message at the end.
-  The myth of history (angryaussie.wordpress.com)
- (300, movie, history, lies)
- From the article: ” Very little history is based on –fact– – it’s nearly all guesswork. Sometimes there is a lot of supporting evidence but there’s no getting around the fact that, educated or not, guesswork is the dominant feature of history.”
- [BUBBLE2.0] Narcissism: Apex of Web 2.0? (webomatica.com)
- (web2.0, bubble, bubble2.0, narcissism)
- From the article: ” Are we at a high point of Web 2.0 before a leveling off – or worse? While many technology innovations of the past centered around increasing business productivity, a lot of Web 2.0 seems dedicated toward social activities and entertainment – and par”
- [CODE] Project Hosting: Expanding the Scientific Programmer’s Toolbox (computer.org)
- (programming, development, code, google, hosting)
- A compsci professors take on using Google code hosting for projects.
MyBlogLog Community Members: 76
Twitter friends/followers: 25/20
FeedBurner RSS Readers: 461
Technorati Favorites: 13
Technorati Rank: 2,220
Technorati Incoming Links: 2,053
Page views (total): 967,500
Hot New Post By Traffic (week): Pet Food Recall (1,045)
Tags: 300, DRM, Firefox, Microsoft, RIAA, Web2.0, addiction, alist, amazon, analytics, appletv, apps, beastiality, blog, blogging, blogs, books, bubble, bubble2.0, business, buzz, calcanis, calendar, cambrianhouse, cellphone, code, community, complaining, content, crowdsourcing, customer, deepjiveinterests, deer, development, dooced, email, engineering, fame, firefox, funny, gmail, google, greasemonkey, hack, hate, hdmi, hdtv, hiring, history, hosting, howto, humor, internet, interview, king, lies, lifehacker, lifehacks, links, lists, love, management, marketing, media, mobile, movie, mp3, music, narcissism, neomeme, news, office, online, phone, piracy, programming, psychology, rands, research, scoble, scripts, service, sex, soapopera, stephen, tabs, technology, technorati, tips, trends, tricks, trolls, twitter, violentacres, web, web2.0, word, writing