Delicious Links – 17 links – wordpress, webdesign, productivity, google, search
This is my weekly collection of the best stuff I saw on the Internet. You can follow this list of links as I post them on Friend Feed or on Twitter. Or you can get the weekly update by subscribing to Internet Duct Tape using RSS or using email.
- [BLOGGING] 7 Reasons Why your Website Won’t Last Without Analytics, makeuseof.com
- This is in my “top 5 beefs with wordpress.com”. Blogging without Google Analytics sucks because you’re never able to self correct.
- [BLOGGING] How to Create a Rock-Solid Tagline That Truly Works, copyblogger.com
- Create your tagline by thinking about the problems you solve.
- [CSS] 960 Grid System, 960.gs, via:technospot.net
- Looks like Blueprint CSS, with more polish.
- [GREASEMONKEY] Google Gears + Greasemonkey to take Wikipedia offline, code.google.com
- Proof of concept on how to use Greasemonkey with Google Gears. I want to try this out, I think the combination of Gears, jQuery and Greasemonkey could lead to some awesome scripts.
- [LIFEHACKS] 10 Ways History’s Finest Kept Their Focus at Work, lifedev.net
- Look at the productivity tips of some of histories greatest figures.
- [LIFEHACKS] 12 Rules for Getting a Grip on Massive Email, problogger.net
- How to manage too much email.
- [MEMES] I Can Has Rezearch Papar?, cylegage.com
- Long article discussion internet culture, memes and anonymity.
- [MYBLOGLOG] FOAFster — Mashable FOAF, from MyBlogLog, kentbrewster.com
- Ok, this might be the mashup that gets me using MyBlogLog again.
- [PYTHON] Code Like a Pythonista: Idiomatic Python, python.net, via:benjamingolub.com
- Python style guide by the maker of Docutils.
- [RUBY] Announcing Ninja-Patching!, avdi.org
- How to patch code so that it will randomly kill other code.
- [SCIFI] Brasyl, Halting State, The Last Colony and Rollback: The 2008 Hugo Voters Electronic Editions, scalzi.com
- How to obtain electronic copies of this years Hugo award nominees.
- [SEO] I’m Getting Pretty Tired of Startup Advice that Doesn’t Include Any Mention of SEO, seomoz.org
- Most web startups are dumb about getting direct search referrals.
- [TWITTER] I’m Over Twitter, threeminds.organic.com
- From the article: ” With Twitter, each of us shouts into the void to the community at large, rather than taking the risk of speaking directly to one another.”
- [WORDPRESS] A Proposal for Theme Management in WordPress, themeshaper.com
- Make the footer easily customizable.
- [WORDPRESS] WordPress 2.5 usability review, noscope.com, via:archgfx.net
- Discussion of what the WP2.5 admin panel does wrong.
- [WORKHACKS] Meetronome, meetronome.com
- Online meeting minute generator that also calculates the average cost of the meeting
This Week at Internet Duct Tape
Internet Duct Tape is my blog where I talk about software, technology, blogging and other geeky subjects.
- Battery Charged or Not
The problem: It’s 3am and the wireless mouse has run out of juice. Scrounging through the battery drawer shows 13 double-A’s, but none of them have a charge.
- Controlling Your Privacy
Today I tried out a new service by one of the smartest guys I know, Michael Geist. It’s called iOptOut and it’s a gateway for Canadians to voluntarily put themselves on do-not-call lists *before* the company contacts you, as well as giving you a legal recourse for when they call you anyways (those bastards). Within hours of signing up for the service I got 8 calls from 1-480-543-1171. Spooky coincidence.
- Presenting: Livejournal Theme for WordPress
You know the story. You’ve been using LiveJournal since 1999. It’s your home. You’re familiar with it. You’re on the list of notable LiveJournal users. But times they be a changin’. You’re friends are all leaving LiveJournal for WordPress because it’s a better C-M-S (whatever that is). You’ve switched to WordPress, but everything looks strange and confusing.
Don’t worry, as usual engtech has your back.
- How to Get an RSS Feed for your XBOX 360 Gamertag
My geek want of the day is getting an RSS feed of my Xbox 360 game activity so that I can use it with lifestreaming services. I’m not sure why Microsoft doesn’t make an RSS feed of your Xbox Live activity available. The information is all there, they publish it as a gamercard. But they don’t give you access to the raw data to do with as you please.
Here are the various ways you can access your Xbox 360 Gamercard to use with other websites.
This is my weekly collection of the best stuff I saw on the Internet.
This Week at IDT Labs
- [FRIENDFEED] Easy Unsubscribe v0.1
Add an unsubscribe link to individual user pages.
- [FRIENDFEED] Who Are You? v0.1
Show more information about who people are beside their profile picture.
- Sneak Preview
- [FRIENDFEED] Even More Expander v0.3
– Bug fix: had problems if there were several “more >>” links.
– Bug fix: didn’t work well with pagerization
- [FRIENDFEED] By Service v0.5
– Dynamically grabs the list of services once per day.
– It should always display the latest services.
– When you’re on a users’ page, it’ll add options to filter by the specific services they use.
– When you’re on the main page it will hover in place in the sidebar
- [FRIENDFEED] Remove Visited Links v0.4
- Hides the visited links using Friend Feed’s “hide entry” function. The entry will be hidden across multiple computers. You can see the hidden entry at the bottom of the page using the normal “show hidden entries” mechanism.How awesome is this? When you read Friend Feed at work, you don’t see the same entries when you come home because it’s persistent across different computers (since it’s using the FF site itself).When you read reddit, digg, stumbleupon etc you don’t see the same links in Friend Feed.This is the bees knees when it comes to improving the signal-to-noise ratio on Friend Feed.
- [FRIENDFEED] Twitter Client v0.4
– Will show the correct character count when tweeting from FF. Counts down from 140 instead of 104 :)
– Will show tweets as being from ‘idt’.
- [WORDPRESS] Auntie Spam and Comment Ninja updated for WP 2.5
Auntie Spam and Comment Ninja are updated for WP 2.5. They are still backwards compatible with WP 2.3
- [TWITTER] Redirect direct links to tweets to use quotably
Quotably is a neat-o service that provides threaded conversations on Twitter. This greasemonkey script will automatically convert any http://twitter.com/*/statuses/* link to go to Quotably instead.