Best of Feeds – 22 links – lifehacks, blogging, facebook, firefox, productivity
RSS feeds are like cookies (that are good enough for me). Best of Feeds is a weekly collection of the best stuff I saw on the Internet this week. They’re saved on delicious and stumbleupon and cross-posted to Twitter and Tumblr as they happen and then collected together on Saturdays. I don’t blog on the weekend so read these links instead.
- [DIY] Declutter Your Desk
(decluttered.com 859 71 8)
- Get all of your computer peripherals off of the top of your desk and hidden way. Lots of tips with photos of implementations.
- [SLEEPHACKS] 24 Tips To Becoming An Early Riser
(blog.liferemix.net 569 87 171)
- All good stuff I already know, yet I’m still a horrible insomniac.
- [LIFEHACKS] 7 Habits of Highly Ineffective People
(positivityblog.com 533 42 562)
- Presented in a problem then solution format.
- [BLOGGING] Warning: Use These 5 Surefire Headline Formulas at Your Own Risk
(copyblogger.com 476 29 852)
- More magnetic headlines
- [WEB2.0] IBM CoScripter
(services.alphaworks.ibm.com 418 65 7)
- CoScripter is a Firefox extension + website that lets you record how to use a web site and build a script for processes of interacting with a website. Could this be useful for documenting?
- [DELICOUS] Exclusive: Screen Shots And Feature Overview of Delicious 2.0 Preview
(techcrunch.com 333 100 )
- Break down of what’s coming up in the new version of delicious, which will be hosted at delicious.com instead of that hard to type url.
- [UI] Task-Centered User Interface Design
(hcibib.org 255 4)
- Online book on user interface design.
- [LIFEHACKS] Design Your Life: What Would You Do If You Had Nothing To Do?
(zenhabits.net 186 16 61)
- Create a list of the 4-5 things that are most important to you, and then always keep them in mind.
- [WORKHACKS] The #1 Reason Your Job Sucks (and How to Fix it)
(johnplaceonline.com 63 18 )
- The reason why you hate your job is because you’re placing your ladder against the wrong wall.
- [RESUME] Avoid These 10 Resume Annoyances
(lifehacker.com 46 4 6)
- Comment thread about resumes.
- [FIREFOX] Firefox Extensions cause Memory Leaks and Crashes
(cybernetnews.com 27 59 20)
- Tips for avoiding memory leaks with Firefox.
- [WORDPRESS] Microformats and WordPress Themes
(lorelle.wordpress.com 18 9)
- Good technical overview of microformats and WordPress, and why you would want them.
- [BLOG] Productivity Tips for Bloggers
(problogger.net 17 17)
- Blog efficiently.
- [SCRAPING] Firequark : quick html screen scraping
(quarkruby.com 15 2 2)
- This is a replacement for Firebug 1.05 that adds better CSS selectors capturing than the Firebug XPath discovery method. This automates something I usually do by hand.
- [FACEBOOK] Don’t Ban Facebook at Work, Researchers Advise
(pcworld.com 5 8)
- “It’s unreasonable for employers to try to stop their staff from having a life outside work, just because they can’t get their heads around the technology,” Barber said.
- [SPAM] How to Defeat Comment Spam
(baekdal.com 5 4 5)
- Defeating comment spam through technology — captcha, logins, and akismet are all considered failed technologies because they make things more complicated for the user, or they force you to look at spam.
- [PRIVACY] Start-ups, privacy, and being wrong – RapLeaf
(blog.rapleaf.com 4 13)
- RapLeaf is a social search engine where you plugin an email address and they do a deep search to find them on the web. This post talks about their pains with maintaining user privacy in a respectable manner.
- [GTD] App’s Apps – Instant Boss
(appsapps.info 4 10)
- Work/Break reminder to force you to take productivity dashes.
- [MOVIES] 20 Big-Time Plot Twists
(premiere.com 3 10 30)
- Good list, but so many spoilers.
- [GAMERS] Hawty McBloggy Invites You to Play
- Video gaming from a woman’s perspective.
- [HUMOR] The Facebook Drinking Game
- Pointing out all the cliches.
- [SU] How to Become a Top StumbleUpon User (or Why You Really Shouldn’t Bother)
(doshdosh.com 12 8)
- Good rant on why you shouldn’t care about building a “strong SU profile”. Use the service for enjoyment.
This Week at Internet Duct Tape
- How Procrastination Dashes Made Me a Better Worker
- 43Folders recommends setting a procrastination dash to attack tasks you’re having trouble getting started on. The (10+2)*5 system suggests doing 5 intervals of 10 minutes of work, followed by 2 minutes of “me time” as a way to get yourself on a groove and find your flow. It’s a…
- Adopting Getting to Done
- Last week I wrote a post about the 3 steps to be successful at anything: be happy (position of strength), know what is important (goal setting, heading in the right direction) and be disciplined (execute the tasks to achieve your goal). The great thing about writing “productivity” posts is…
- Quotations from The Soul of a New Machine by Tracy Kidder (1978)
- I’m going to celebrate Labour Day with the only book I’ve ever read that captured what it’s like to work at building integrated circuits. The Soul of a New Machine is a Pulitzer Prize winning book written in 1978 by a reporter named Tracy Kidder. Hat tip to Scott Rosenberg, or rather to…
This Week at IDT Labs
- [PHOTOBUCKET] Log Me In Already!
- Takes you directly to your album if you visit http://photobucket.com while already logged in. Because it’s too annoying to have to click “My Album” every time.
- [GMAIL] Quickly Open Compose Mode
- Turns off clutter when directly composing gmail messages (IE: clicking on a mailto link) One thing that annoys me about Gmail is how slow it can be to load. This becomes a real problem when you force all mailto: links to open in Gmail. Gmail Quick Compose redirects all “compose mode” links…
- [WORDPRESS.COM] Stats for PagesThis is a Greasemonkey script that adds stats to the Edit Pages panel on WordPress.com.
- [WORDPRESS.COM] Open 5 Blogs at RandomI’ve created a short little script that will open five WordPress.com blogs at random when you press ALT+SHIFT+W .