Best of Feeds – 37 links – google, blogging, facebook, wordpress, tips
RSS feeds are like cookies (that are good enough for me). Best of Feeds is a weekly collection of the best stuff I saw on the Internet this week. I post them on Twitter as they happen and then collected together on Saturdays. I don’t blog on the weekend so read these links instead.
- [WEB2.0] What are the best 100 Web 2.0 sites and services? We don’t know. But you do.
(webware.com, 1707 saves, 100 inbound links, diggs)
- The webware award winners.
- [BLOG] Blogging Toolbox: 120+ Resources for Bloggers
(mashable.com, 840 saves, 100 inbound links, 88 diggs)
- Huge list of resources for bloggers.
- [DESIGN] Mojizu – A Contemporary Character Design Community
(mojizu.com, 774 saves, 100 inbound links, diggs)
- Excellent character designs… are any of these CC and free to use?
- [LIFEHACKS] 62 Little Known Uses Of Vinegar | because you value your body
(odyb.net, 512 saves, 33 inbound links, 864 diggs)
- I’m heading to the grocery store right now.
- [TECH] 69 Tech Blogs That Don’t Suck
(micahville.com, 490 saves, 36 inbound links, 967 diggs)
- List of popular tech blogs.
- [GOOGLE] Socialstream
(hcii.cs.cmu.edu, 351 saves, 100 inbound links, 15 diggs)
- Google’s new social network web app.
- [MUSIC] 10 Alternatives to iTunes for managing your iPod
(simplehelp.net, 211 saves, 41 inbound links, 1074 diggs)
- iTunes is crap, there are many alternatives.
- [GRAFFITI] Painting with Light
(colourlovers.com, 185 saves, 59 inbound links, 2292 diggs)
- From the article: ” Using an exposure of about ten-to-thirty seconds and a tripod for best results, Light Graffiti artists start at the first click.”
- [FIREFOX] Firefox 2 Spelling Dictionary Hacks; Make Firefox Inline Spell Checker More Useful
(labnol.blogspot.com, 169 saves, 36 inbound links, 12 diggs)
- Two excellent tips here: switch dictionary to Canadian and automatically import computer terms.
- [LIFEHACK] My War on Clutter: Never –organize– what you can discard
(43folders.com, 157 saves, 90 inbound links)
- From the article: ” I’m finally getting my head around the idea that organization is what you do to stuff that you need, want, or love — it’s not what you do to get useless stuff out of sight or to impart make believe meaning.”
- [CODE] From project sluts to strawmen: An interview with Tim Lister
(blog.businessofsoftware.org, 112 saves, 17 inbound links, 6 diggs)
- Good interview with one of the authors of PeopleWare on the subject of project management.
- [FACEBOOK] Why Facebook, why now?
(scobleizer.com, 37 saves, 48 inbound links, 4 diggs)
- Robert Scoble’s thoughts on Facebook.
- [RSS] FeedBurner Integration for Blogspot Blogs
(blogs.feedburner.com, 31 saves, 100 inbound links, 6 diggs)
- I wish wordpress.com would get on the bandwagon.
- [COPYRIGHT] Did ya know? It’s Fair Use Day: July 11, 2007
(arstechnica.com, 9 saves, 40 inbound links, 649 diggs)
- Instead of stealing music, or copying a DVD, contact a representative and try to get the draconian laws prevented.
- [RSS] A Simple Way to Create Your Own Personal Feedburner Feedflare
(doshdosh.com, 5 saves, 5 inbound links, 1 diggs)
- Good ideas for customizing your RSS with FeedBurner.
- [GAMES] Weekend Fun: 15 Tower Defense Games
(franticindustries.com, 5 saves, 2 inbound links, 7 diggs)
- List of all of the Desktop Tower Defense games.
- [PRIVACY] Death by Google Calendar: How I Identified you to rob you
(dumblittleman.com, 4 saves, 3 inbound links, 3 diggs)
- Why do we broadcast so much information online?
- [SPAM] Stop Human Comment Spammers
(blogherald.com, 3 saves, 7 inbound links)
- From the article: ” The latest uproar in the blogosphere is a new service which will pay bloggers to comment on blogs.”
- [FACEBOOK] Facebook Knows What You Did Last Summer. (Facebook Privacy Settings & Facebook App Defaults)
(500hats.typepad.com, 3 saves, 2 inbound links, 3 diggs)
- Walkthrough of some of the Facebook privacy defaults you may want to change.
- [BLOG] 7 Secret Ways To Send Your Website Stratospheric – Digging Below The Surface Of Zen Habits
(hamelife.com, 2 saves, 1 diggs)
- I’ve also been interested in how ZenHabits got started.
- [SMO] The Friend Tax on “Social” Media
(baron.vc, , 5 diggs)
- The sad truth that social networking/bookmarking sites always penalize having friends, their raison d’etre.
- [HUMOR] Web 9.0 — Chip’s Quips
(chipsquips.com, 4 inbound links)
- This is the future of captcha
- [STARTUP] Zero to Startup: Product Test in a Weekend
(okdork.com, 2 inbound links)
- Rapid prototype and get your idea in front of eyeballs to see if it’s worth your time.
- [NEWS] Writing For The Blog Herald
- Webomatica will be writing for the blog herald, another reason to read BH.
- [MARKETING] The Art Of The Pitch: Ron Popeil And Steve Jobs
(webomatica.com, , 24 diggs)
- How is Steve Jobs like Ron Popeil? Set it, and forget it!
- [BLOG] out with the old, in with the new
- User experience of turning on Spam Karma to improve Akismet.
- [PRIVACY] Web 2.0 is a government plot!
(angryaussie.wordpress.com, , 34 diggs)
- Why wiretap when you can view their Facebook mini-feed?
- [POPCULTURE] Todd Goldman: Art Thief?
(thirdproject.net, 27 inbound links)
- Todd Goldman’s Stupid Factory rips off everything?
- [WORDPRESS] Tips For Writing Good WordPress Tips
(blogherald.com, 15 inbound links)
- How to get featured on Lorelle’s weekly WordPress tips.
- [FACEBOOK] Not A Rumor: Google WANTS To Buy Facebook
(parislemon.com, 3 inbound links)
- From the article: ” it’s not just someone quoting an anonymous Google source, it’s Sergey Brin talking openly about his desire for Facebook, and”
- [COMICS] Zuda Comics: Market Research By Committee
(profy.com, 3 inbound links, 11 diggs)
- DC Comics is starting a social web site for comics.
- [ESSAY] It’s not Information Overload – it’s garbage overload
(winextra.com, 2 inbound links)
- From the article: ” If you don’t blog you aren’t adding to the conversation, if you don’t have a Facebook entry you don’t exist, if you aren’t on Twitter or Pownce you have no presence, if you aren’t LinkedIn then you have no future.”
- [SLEEPHACKS] 15 good practices for getting a good nights sleep
- Insomniacs take note.
- [ESSAY] The passing of the tactile generation | WinExtra
- From the article: ” In our rush to a digitized nirvana I fear we will lose one of the most important things that make us human.”
- [SEO] John Chow vs. Google – Guess Who’s Winning
(pronetadvertising.com, 13 inbound links, 2 diggs)
- John Chow gets punished by Google and Technorati for his link schemes.
- [WRITING] What Is A Tip, Technique, How-To, Advice, Guide, And Only Way To Do It?
(blogherald.com, 2 inbound links)
- Semantic differences useful for “how-to bloggers”.
This Week at Internet Duct Tape
As part of Project3, Daniel from Daily Blog Tips has asked us to read and rate each other’s entries. I went through the big list of 115 entries and here is my (much shortened) list of favorites. They are mostly about blog advice or health tips. You can read my entry for Project 3 here: […]
It’s a good habit to post a summary of your recent posts once or twice a month, but like all blog maintenance it can be a pain in the butt if you don’t make it as easy as possible. Here’s a hack that’ll let you create a summary of all of your posts over X […]
Last night I finished reading Cory Doctorow’s new collection of short stories, Overclocked, and I was very surprised at how much I enjoyed it.
Unless you’ve had your head in the sand (or *gasp* you aren’t obsessed with Internet culture), then you’ve noticed that we’re seeing more and more web service startups over the past few years. Last year I flamed the Bubble 2.0 soundly in “Web Too.Many.” Earlier this year I tried to get…
I have some Pownce invites to give away. Click on the link, the password is ‘kitty’.
Tags: blogging, design, facebook, games, programming, tips, transformers, webdesign, writing
This Week at IDT Labs
I’ve updated my script that forces the Flickr search box to remember that you’re searching for Creative Commons licensed photos. It fixes a problem with the advanced search box.
I’ve put together a list of all the software I’ve created at http://internetducttape.com/tools/ I’ve oh-so-intelligently organized it by the websites they interface with. Check it out if you haven’t already. And thank you for being an early adopter to my software update news blog.…
IDT Labs is an offshoot of Internet Duct Tape.com. It is used for announcements related to software, tools, and blog themes I have created. //engtech IDT Labs is a blog for news announcements about software, tools or blog themes created by InternetDuctTape.com .