Best of Feeds – 30 links – blog, design, productivity, lifehacks, geek, psychology
Best of Feeds is a weekly series where I link to the stuff I found interesting from my feed reader. Links are sorted based on how many people have bookmarked them on del.icio.us. They are posted on Twitter as they happen and then collected together in a single post on Saturday. I don’t blog on the weekend so read these links instead.
This time I have 30 links from: 37signals, aaronsw, angryaussie, erald, boredzo, brianoberkirch, compsci.ca, douglaskarr, gilesbowkett, idratherbewriting, instigatorblog, ironicsans, lolgeeks, lostgarden, makeyougohmm, makezine, mashable, mingle2, nbrightside, paleo-future, ricksegal, selfmademinds, stevepavlina, techpresident, violentacres, wank, webomatica, worsethanfailure, zephoria
- [LIFEHACK] 33 Rules to Boost Your Productivity (stevepavlina.com, 1595 saves)
- (productivity, lifehacks, gtd, tips)
- Short and simple.
- [BLOG] Twenty Usability Tips for Your Blog — Condensed from Dozens of Bloggers’ Experiences (idratherbewriting.com, 569 saves)
- (blog, howto, tips)
- [TECH] Paleo-Future – A look into the future that never was. (paleo-future.blogspot.com, 328 saves)
- (blog, future, history, retro, futurism, design)
- A retro look at the pasts’ guestimate of what the future will be like, but wasn’t.
- [RSS] Which blogs have the most feed subscribers (selfmademinds.com, 318 saves)
- (statistics, rss, feeds, feedburner)
- top 100 RSS subscriptions
- [PRODUCTIVITY] Trimming the attention sails (brianoberkirch.com, 287 saves)
- (productivity, GTD, lifehacks, time, management, work)
- Several tips for cutting back your attention leaks.
- [PSYCHOLOGY] Most People Are Depressed For a Very Good Reason (violentacres.com, 139 saves)
- (psychology, depression, life, philosophy)
- It’s always the serotonin. It’s never the lousy job or the loveless marriage or the helplessness one feels when they finally realized they’ve been pressured into living a life they would have never chosen for themselves.
- [MARKETING] “Year Zero” project = “the way a viral campaign should be run” (37signals.com, 112 saves)
- (marketing, viral, nin)
- 37signals collects the various posts about the super-slick viral marketing campaign Nine Inch Nails had for their latest album.
- [GREASEMONKEY] Uncensor the Internet with Greasemonkey (ironicsans.com, 81 saves)
- (greasemonkey, firefox, Censorship, funny)
- A greasemonkey script to reinstate swear words.
- [SUCCESS] Danah boyd’s 5 secrets to success (zephoria.org, 76 saves)
- (success, lifehacks, happiness, danahboyd)
- From the article: ” there is immense power in understanding the rules and norms and tweaking them to meet your goals. Rejecting society is fun as a kid; figuring out how to circumnavigate barriers to entry is more fun as an adult.”
- [FACEBOOK] 10 Awesome Things Built on the Facebook API (mashable.com, 66 saves)
- (Facebook, api, mashup)
- Only really cool looking one is the Facebook toolbar. Maybe posting links like this will get all my Facebook friends to read my blog?
- [HUMOR] lolgeeks (lolgeeks.com, 59 saves)
- (geek, lolcats, lolgeeks, photo, Humor)
- First there were lolcats, then lolgays… now there are lolgeeks?
- [MYSPACE] The Battle to Control Obama’s Myspace (techpresident.com, 31 saves)
- (politics, myspace, 2008, socialmedia, obama)
- From the article: ” Welcome to the age of voter-generated media, where a super-volunteer using popular online tools and sites can become as important as big donor or a top campaign surrogate.”
- [REDDIT] Reddit for Digg users: A tutorial (boredzo.org, 16 saves)
- (reddit, tutorial, digg)
- Very insightful “welcome to reddit, this is how it’s different from digg post”. I’ve been using reddit casually for a year and I still learned a lot about their culture.
- [RANT] How the Me-Generation Ruined Modern Conversation (violentacres.com, 15 saves)
- (psychology, violentacres)
- We’re all unhappy because we’re lonely and we’ve lost the ability to truly connect with other people.
- [SCIENCE] A Call for Science that Matters (aaronsw.com, 8 saves)
- (science, important, papers)
- Aaron Swartz is starting up a site called sciencethatmatters to promote studies and reports that deserve more publicity.
- [CODE/DESIGN] Step Outside Your Own Head (gilesbowkett.blogspot.com, 8 saves)
- (bowkett, code, design, ui, usability)
- The biggest problem with engineers is that they see the world as engineers. The biggest problem with screenwriters is they see the world as screenwriters. I love this blog.
- [DRM] Fun with the Dinosaurs (ricksegal.typepad.com, 7 saves)
- (drm, media, humour, tech, tv)
- VC Rick Segal points out the flaws in mainstream media CEO-types’ understanding (or lack thereof) of technology.
- [CAREER] My job is more addictive than Facebook (compsci.ca, 5 saves)
- (facebook, job, career, passion)
- From the article: ” Clearly they are in the wrong field. You’ve got to do what you love.”
- [LIFEHACKS] The Secret To Being Productive (instigatorblog.com, 4 saves)
- Round up to the Ultimate Guide to Productivity bloggers so far.
- [GAMERS] WoW has a VISA rewards card (makezine.com, 3 saves)
- (visa, creditcard, worldofwarcraft, wow)
- VISA pays you to play World of Warcraft.
- [BLOG] Reporting Blog Content Thieves (blogherald.com, 3 saves)
- (blog, splog, content, theft)
- Tips and tricks for reporting the people who steal your work.
- [DESIGN] The Mind of a Web Developer: An Illustrated Diagram (mingle2.com, 3 saves)
- (web, design)
- This smells like an SMO attempt by a social dating site, but it’s still a pretty cool diagram.
- [CORPORATE BLOGGING] attention all Oracle bloggers (nbrightside.com, 2 saves)
- (oracle, blog)
- I for one would love to see a corporate blog from Andy C.
- [HUMOR] The Bunny Connection (worsethanfailure.com, 2 saves)
- (wtf, linux, humor, geek)
- Silly Rabbit, linux is for kids!
- [SILVERLIGHT] Thoughts on Silverlight, Expression and Games (lostgarden.com, 2 saves)
- (games, development, silverlight)
- From the article: ” I’ve devoted most of my professional life to making complex game technologies more approachable and accessible for creative people. Silverlight and Expression Design are just a couple more steps along that path.”
- [HIGHTECH] 6 essential communication tips for IT workers (angryaussie.wordpress.com, 2 saves)
- (hightech, tech, it, communication, talking)
- From the article: ” Why are communication skills important to IT? Isn’t the only requirement that they produce and ship quality code? Well, if you never want to advance, that’s a fine attitude.”
- [WORDPRESS] how to lose your soul slightly (wank.wordpress.com)
- (wordpress, wordpress.com)
- Some good criticism of wordpress.com management.
- [ALIST] Guy Kawasaki doesn’t have time to read your blog, but wants you to read his (makeyougohmm.com)
- (alist, blogs)
- Interesting take on the conundrum when becoming a more popular blog. You want people to read your blog, but you don’t have the time to read theirs.
- [BOOKS] Book Notes: Hungry Planet (webomatica.com)
- (book, food)
- Interesting book, photojournal of the different places in the world and the food they eat.
- [RESUME] I Could Be All Yours for Today’s Low, Low Price of… (douglaskarr.com)
- (resume, blog, hiring)
- The “blog as a resume” indeed. Doug puts out the word he’s looking for work on his blog.
MyBlogLog Community Members: 117 (+11)
Twitter friends/followers: 82/88 (+3/+9)
FeedBurner RSS Readers: 547 (-20)
Technorati Favorites: 268 (+46)
Technorati Authority: 1117 (new feature by Technorati)
Technorati Rank: 1728 (up 182)
Page views (total): 1,177,946 (+31,840)
Hot New Post By Traffic (week): What’s Your Web 2.0? 265
Tags: 2008, Censorship, Facebook, GTD, Humor, alist, api, blog, blogs, book, bowkett, career, code, communication, content, creditcard, danahboyd, depression, design, development, digg, drm, facebook, feedburner, feeds, firefox, food, funny, future, futurism, games, geek, greasemonkey, gtd, happiness, hightech, hiring, history, howto, humor, humour, important, it, job, life, lifehacks, linux, lolcats, lolgeeks, management, marketing, mashup, media, myspace, nin, obama, oracle, papers, passion, philosophy, photo, politics, productivity, psychology, reddit, resume, retro, rss, science, silverlight, socialmedia, splog, statistics, success, talking, tech, theft, time, tips, tutorial, tv, ui, usability, violentacres, viral, visa, web, wordpress, wordpress.com, work, worldofwarcraft, wow, wtf