Digest for January 2007 – Part 1
Every two to three weeks I publish a digest for subscribers who are would rather take their //engtech in infrequent chugs rather than frequent sips.
If you read //engtech more than once a month, I’d appreciate your feedback in my first reader poll.
Articles and News
- Tech and Blogging Predictions for 2007
This is my long list of everything that I predict will happen in 2007.
- Top 10 Resolutions That I Will Not Feel Bad About Not Keeping (2007 Edition)
Why make resolutions in the New Year that you’re going to feel bad about not keeping?
- CES – Microsoft Home Server
Microsoft is releasing a standalone media file server for home use.
Gadgets, Robots, del.icio.us, oh my!
- Settlers of Catan board game is coming to Xbox Live Arcade
I join the 21st century and play Settlers for the first time.
- Harold Is a Robot – Attempt #1
My lame first attempt at a web comic.
- Greasemonkey script: increase size of del.icio.us save bookmark extension
If you bookmark with del.icio.us and Firefox then you need this script.
- Programming Advice for Newbs
If you’re a programmer, here’s some advice that could change your life.
This is a new section where I post links I think are worth sharing / found interesting.
- Year in Review – Most Popular Posts of 2006
- Best of Feeds – 31 links – blogging, howto, design, firefox, google, webdesign
- Best of Feeds – 17 links – humor, programming, blogs, blogging, photography
- Best of Feeds – 36 links – programming, humor, career, rss, windows, google
- Best of Feeds
Blogging, WordPress and WordPress.com info
- Blog Marketing Explained
Want to find out how to become a popular blogger and get more web traffic?
- Reasons to Take Security Upgrades Seriously — Hacked WordPress Sites
If you’re running your own WordPress install (not wordpress.com) then you need to upgrade NOW.
- MyBlogLog widget for WordPress.com blogs — One of the best web widgets available
MyBlogLog lets readers who have blogs show up in your sidebar blogroll whenever they visit your site.
- Greasemonkey Script: Find images that are too wide and break your blog template
Useful utility for Firefox users to test that their blog doesn’t break under Internet Explorer 6.
- Too much Spam – Akismet Auntie Spam for WordPress.com (Greasemonkey Script)
If you check the Akismet spam page on your WordPress blog, this will make it easier to navigate.
My Superpower is Fighting Spam
- Too Much Spam – Blacklisting .info because it gets through Akismet
Helpful tip for bloggers — you can just blacklist the .info and .biz domains because no one runs a legitimate site on them.
- The Stupidest Comment Spammer I Ever Did See (Dirk Wagner, team4success.biz and PR Backlinks Generator)
A comment spammer spams blogs trying to sell comment spamming software. *shakes head*