My buddy Tony has the helm of Problogger.net this week and he’s written a truly excellent post on blog marketing. Blog marketing is as much (if not more) work than blogging itself. His advice is 100% accurate based on my experience and I’ve yet to see such a concise list of “Everything you need to know about making your blog popular”.
Here’s the summary for those of you who like to try before you bu… er, read.
Get Your Own House In Order
- Write well, write consistently, don’t give up.
- Become an expert on something.
- Design is more important than you think.
- Learn about SEO.
- Publish full feeds.
- Do interviews with other bloggers.
- Break important stories.
- Have a contest.
- Publish original research.
- Put out Press Releases.
- Work your long tail.
- Answer your comments, in your comments, and off blog.
- Spend time to create links and trackbacks.
- Get Your MyBlogLog widget and work it, work it, work it.
Getting the Word Out
- Join a blog carnival.
- Join blog network.
- Participate in forums.
- Participate on larger blogs in comments.
- Join Blogburst.
- Participate in Darren’s contests.
- Submit to blog directories.
- Submit to Google sitemaps.
- Submit to article directories.
- Get interviewed.
- Get listed on a news aggregator, or blog aggregator.
- Create free stuff for yourself and give it away.
- Create free stuff for other people.
- Pay for pub.
Connect, Connect, Connect
- Make friends with other bloggers.
- Guest blog.
- Volunteer, intern, scut-monkey your way into a blogger’s graces.
- Get hired.
- Network in person.
- Join virtual groups.
- Cross promote.
Make Social Media Work For You
- Join Helium.
- Yahoo Answers! .
- Create a Squidoo
- Use MySpace Marketing:.
- Get Dugg / Netscaped / Reddited / Stumbled upon.
What are you waiting for? Read it: How to Market Your Blog in 2007