SoftwareByRob‘s Criteria for Keeping Your Developers Happy. Goes hand-in-hand with my Programmer Productivity Tips.
- Set Up to Succeed. Defined problem, realistic deadlines, and being allowed to build quality.
- Excellent Management. Independent thinking, quick decisions, spokesman for the team, and no micro-managing.
- Learning New Things. Let them learn new technologies.
- Creativity and Problem Solving. Developers are addicted to solving the right kind of problems.
- Respected Opinion. Developers know their job, listen to them.
- Recognition. Recognize hard work and exceptional circumstances.
- Stuff that Matters. Projects that have a larger place in the world.
- Getting Stuff Done. Less process, more decisions. Minimize meetings.
- Legacy Constraints. Avoid technical debt that will hold you back.
>> Nine Things Developers Want More Than Money