Just say no to SEO contests like “Shaastra Thamesportal Zalecenia Autophytes Invernesshire”
These things are such plagues on the Internet. “Shaastra Thamesportal Zalecenia Autophytes Invernesshire” is one of those stupid Google SEO contests. But they aren’t really a problem if it wasn’t for people who go around spamming blogs in order to try and win it.
Why this doesn’t work
- Spamming blogs is against the contest rules.
- Whenever you leave links in a comment on a blog, those links have ref=”nofollow” attached so that search engines ignore them in terms of ranking.
- He’s screwed up the link for all the comments so that they don’t even properly link back to his SEO spam website
All he’s done is generated a lot of ill-will towards himself and towards the contest he is participating in.
Akismet will eventually catch up with this spam and start auto-banning it, but wordpress.com users can speed up the process by going to
Options >> Discussion >> Comment moderation
and putting in the following information in the box
The morale of the story is “Don’t be a tool” and instead Learn how the Internet Works.
Important reading for comment spammers
- Wikipedia article on Spam in Blogs
- Google on how rel=”nofollow” prevents the link from raising the targets search ranking
Thanx for enlightening me. Since last 2-3 days I was doing all this stuff like mad to be known at the end that it does not work!!
Why didnt I see the rel=nofollow thing!!
I wont spam in future.
Fucked my exams due to it.
I’m glad you’ve stopped, and I hope you’ve learned your lesson. Here’s a free link to your real blog as a reward.
I still don’t understand how you could have thought this was a good idea being a blogger yourself.