These guidelines are intended if you are working with patents. It may be overkill for general day-to-day usage, but it some of the guidelines could be kept.
– Bound/stitched binding notebook.
– Permanent ink.
– Each new page should have title, project number and book number.
– All data recorded directly into the notebook. Use elaborate data. Strike-out, do not erase/white-out.
– Sign and date all entries. Get witnesses.
– Use both sides of a page and "X"/crosshatch unused space (with initial & data).
– Keep lab book in safe place.