Installing/Using MySQL on RedHat Linux
This is a very high level tutorial about how to install MySQL on RedHat Linux. Author assumes that user is completely unfamiliar with databases/SQL.
In a nutshell:
- download the RPMs from http://www.mysql.com
- install using 'rpm –install'
- set root password for mysql
What is of interest is the section on how to secure the MySQL server:
- When you create an account, give it a password.
- Create a separate account for each function for each database and restrict rights appropriately.
- Only allow database access from "localhost."
- Do not enter the password on the command line (-p[password]) if you are on a multi-user system because other people could see it if they use the `w` or similar commands.
- Remove any unused or seldom used databases (like the "test" database which is installed by default).