whenpenguinsattack.com: tech resume tips
– buzz words
– OS+unix flavours
– Programming languages + platforms
Only list degree and educational qualifications if truly relevant
Quantify figures (monetary budgets, time periods/efficiency improved, lines of code written/debugged which demonstrate progress or accomplishments due directly to your work
Start sentences with action verb in past tense
Be concise, 1 page per 5 years of experience. 3 pages is absolute limit. Minimize usage of articles (the, an, a) and never use "I"
Omit needless items. Leave all these things off your resume: social security number, marital status, health, citizenship, age, scholarships, irrelevant awards, irrelevant associations and memberships, irrelevant publications, irrelevant recreational activities, a second mailing address ("permanent address" is confusing and never used), references, reference of references ("available upon request"), travel history, previous pay rates, previous supervisor names, and components of your name which you really never use (i.e. middle names).
– Name and page number in footer or header
– Use one typeface such as Times New Roman, Arial, or other traditional typeface. The standard font size is 11 point. Headers may be increased to 12 point.
– margins at least one inch on all sides
– do not use formatting for emphasis
– Give or mail an interviewer your resume printed on an off-white, tan, or light gray quality bond paper. Never give them a photocopy of your resume.