Put a Copyright Notice in Your RSS Feed
As a blogger, your content is going to end up being stolen and republished on the Internet. It’s a fact of life, there’s nothing you can do about it.
One thing you can do however is put a copyright notice in your RSS feed with FeedBurner. (FeedBurner is the Google’s RSS publishing service).
- Sign in to your FeedBurner account.
- Click on My Feeds and choose the feed you want to add a copyright notice to.
- Click on Optimize tab, then Feed Flare on the right hand side.
- Cut and paste this text into the Add New Flare box:
(Make sure to change http://www.yourdomain.com to your website URL).
- Click Save at the bottom of the screen.
Now your feed will display a copyright notice as well as a link back to your site. Thanks to the FeedBurner forums for this one.
If you want to use a Creative Commons copyright notice, then Feed Burner already supports it. Go to the Optimize tab and then choose Creative Comments from the left menu.
Unfortunately the WordPress.com “alternative” to FeedBurner doesn’t support creating your own Feed Flares, so you can’t use it to append a copyright message. You’ll have to cut-and-paste it into every blog post by hand.