Best of Feeds – 30 links – blogging, humor, geek, problogger, design
RSS feeds are like cookies (that are good enough for me). Best of Feeds is a weekly collection of the best stuff I saw on the Internet this week. They’re saved on delicious and stumbleupon and cross-posted to Twitter and Tumblr as they happen and then collected together on Saturdays. I don’t blog on the weekend so read these links instead.
- [MUSIC] Revenge of the Smart Playlist: 5 tricks for packrats & power users
(43folders.com 443 57 582)
- Tips for culling your MP3 collection with smart playlists.
- [WORKHACKS] The Advantages of Keeping an Analog Work Journal
(diyplanner.com 302 42)
- Tips for keeping an analog work journal. Today I spent about 30 minutes trying to look up some information about something I did 7 months ago… this is definitely needed.
- [WIKIPEDIA] See Who’s Editing Wikipedia – Diebold, the CIA, a Campaign
(wired.com 285 100 3091)
- Wikipedia tracker shows the rampant conflicts of interest that are present on most wikipedia articles. Most articles are edited by the people/companies the article is about.
- [FREEWARE] WinSplit Revolution
(reptils.free.fr 178 11)
- Utility for splitting widescreen monitors up into several uniform pages. Might try using this with my laptop and my 56″ HDTV.
- [LIFEHACKS] Peter Walsh’s clever hanger trick
(43folders.com 167 61 1058)
- Use indicators on your hangers to let you know if you actually wear those clothes or not.
- [WINXP] 15 Minute XP Tune-Up
(tweak3d.net 126 4)
- Good guide covering how to speed up your computer.
- [BLOGOSPHERE] My Favorite Graphs… and the future
(headrush.typepad.com 111 100 8)
- I was surprised to see CPU show up in the feed reader. Kathy does a “what to do now?” post and includes some of her favourite graphs. Worthy checking out for the graphs.
- [GAMERS] Bioshock artbook
(2kgames.com 45 100 523)
- 2k Games have put the artbook for the new Bioshock game online for free. 15MB/75MB versions in PDF.
- [VIDEO] YouTube – ORIGINAL DESIGN GANGSTA
(youtube.com 45 100 3)
- Kinda funny. CMYK in the house!
- [LIFEHACKS] Productivity: Keep track of your time with the Emergent Task Tracker, online edition
(lifehacker.com 38 9)
- Looks like a very cool time management tool / process. It might be more efficient to use the PDF over the flash app.
- [HUMOR] Google Mistakes Own Blog for Spam, Deletes it
(news.yahoo.com 32 74 20)
- Silly Google, blogs are for…
- [DIGG] 11 Tips to Enhance Your Digg User Experience (and Hopefully Bring You Front Page Fame)
(techipedia.com 22 15 87)
- Well written list of how to fit in with Digg culture. Note the section on blogspam.
- [CSS] Introduction to Firebug
(evotech.net 19 4)
- Technical introduction to Firebug, including hotkeys.
- [SCIFI] XKCD Comic
(xkcd.com 17 52 1)
- This is great if your a fan of OSC :)
- [BLOG] Create a Sneeze Page and Propel Readers Deep WIthin Your Blog
(problogger.net 9 2)
- Good idea — create thematic link pages to your old content and then feature these pages prominently on your blog.
- [RSS] The Secret to Lightning-Fast Feed Reading
(dailyblogtips.com 9 7 27)
- How to be an RSS speed reader
- [DESIGN] Redesign of Problogger.net
(bleikamp.com 7 9)
- Behind the scenes of the Problogger redesign.
- [STARTUPS] VMware’s IPO – Insanity turns Silicon Valley back to normal
(theregister.co.uk 7 25)
- My new investment plan should be “buy stock in products I use”. damn.
- [STARTUPS] 9 Lessons Learned From Founders At Work
- I’ve been meaning to read this book. Not sure if it’s related to Programmers At Work, but I really enjoyed that one.
- [ANONYMITY] Anonymous blogging guide
(advocacy.globalvoicesonline.org 6 19)
- Update of the Global Voices anonymous blogging guide (using WordPress and Tor)
- [LOLCATZ] LOLcat Bible Transcript
(notablogtm.com 5 4 36)
- Yes, Genesis in lolcat.
- [TSHIRTS] Internet Dickwad Theory
(pennyarcademerch.com 3 10)
- Greater Internet Dickwad Theory is now available as a T-shirt from Penny Arcade.
- [BLOG] Be Careful What You Wish For – 5 Lessons to Learn from Robert Scoble
(problogger.net 3 7)
- Problogger advice on when is a good time to take a break from blogging. There is a great lesson in that “you get the same kind of comments as the tone of the post” — I hadn’t made that connection before, but it is true.
- [BLOG] Survey on public/private on the Internet
(surveymonkey.com 2 50 1)
- Good survey asking questions about what’s your perception of public/private on the Internet. Looks forward to reading the paper it’s for.
- [WRITING] Must-Have Tool For Bloggers – WORDWEB: Powerful Dictionary For Windows
- Interesting dictionary tool for quickly looking up definitions, synonyms, and related words.
- [WORDPRESS.COM] Importing a wordpress.com blog into an existing blog
- How to export your wordpress.com blog to your own house and maintain all of your old redirects.
- [BLOGS] Interview with Jeff Atwood from Coding Horror
- Great interview with Jeff Atwood about blogging… he’s one of the greats (60,000 readers!) who manages to rise above the rest without into the same traps others have (worrying about blog software/themes, trying to get leverage on social networking sites)
- [FACEBOOK] The Top 5 Viral Facebook Techniques
(allfacebook.com 11 3)
- Tips for spreading your Facebook apps.
- [GWP] Writing Challenge: Joanna’s Thematic Link Post!
- Simple Group Writing Project… no idea when the deadline is (if any).
- [TSHIRTS] Web Shirts: 20 rad T-shirt sites
- List of online T-shirt sites.
This Week at Internet Duct Tape
- Universal identity and single sign on using openID? No thanks
- One of the holy grails of web technology is single sign-on: the ability to use different web applications from one user account. Instead of having to remember 20 login credentials, you’ll only have to remember one. OpenID gives the sweet promise of being able to have a universal identity and a…
- Greasemonkey Script: Yahoo Pipe Cleaner
- Yahoo Pipes can create automated lists that you can cut-and-paste into blog posts. My only real complaint is with the HTML markup they create. It doesn’t look good when you cut-and-paste it into a WordPress blog. This is where Yahoo Pipe Cleaner comes in. It is a Greasemonkey script for Firefox…
- Best of Feeds – 26 links – video, blogging, web2.0, google, css
- Tags: blogging, css, design, google, programming, socialsoftware, tips, video, web2.0, webdesign, wordpress
This Week at IDT Labs
- [RSS] Yahoo Pipe Cleaner
- I’ve create a Greasemonkey script to make cutting-and-pasting from Yahoo Pipes into a WordPress blog look nicer. — Please link to this post instead — IDT Labs is a blog for news announcements about software, tools or blog themes created by InternetDuctTape.com . Subscribe to InternetDuctTape…
- [RSS] Recent Blog Mentions
- I’ve created a new Yahoo Pipe that filters your Technorati recent mentions. removes all the ones with low authority (most likely spam) changes the title and link to go to the root of the domain name IE: if I linked to you from http://internetducttape.com/2007/08/12/hello-world it would show…
- [RSS] Facebook Status Feed Filter
- I’ve created a new Yahoo Pipe that that will take the RSS feed URL for your Facebook status, filter out your name, and add (from Facebook status) to the end. This makes it easy to repost your status in Twitter, Pownce, Tumblr, whatever. — Please link to this URL instead — IDT Labs is a blog…