Best of Feeds – 26 links – blogging, tips, writing, comics, comments
RSS feeds are like cookies (that are good enough for me). Best of Feeds is a weekly collection of the best stuff I saw on the Internet this week. I post them on Twitter as they happen and then collected together on Saturdays. I don’t blog on the weekend so read these links instead.
- [WINXP] How to Clean Up a Windows Spyware Infestation
(codinghorror.com, 1014 saves, 100 inbound links, 1659 diggs)
- Just surfing the web with Internet Explorer 6 is enough to give you a virus!
- [FACEBOOK] Analyzing the Facebook Platform, three weeks in
(blog.pmarca.com, 637 saves, 100 inbound links, 936 diggs)
- Very good analysis of why Facebook’s f8 strategy is so ground breaking. Startups can get 3 million users in a month.
- [COMICS] Comic Strip Artist’s Kit (Redux)
(sevencamels.blogspot.com, 413 saves, 9 diggs)
- 1975 Disney pamphlet for comic artists with lots of tips and tricks.
- [BLOG] 9 Lessons for Would-be Bloggers
(bokardo.com, 326 saves, 100 inbound links, 3 diggs)
- From the article: ” One of the biggest problems is that some people don’t think they have anything useful to say. They think: look at all the incredible amount of writing out there already…what can I add to it?”
- [TECH] Marc Andreessen has a blog
(blog.pmarca.com, 322 saves, 100 inbound links, 8 diggs)
- Marc Andreessen of Netscape/Ning fame has a blog and it’s really friggin good if you’re into tech / web2.0
- [HUMOR] alli: Miracle diet pill with teeny-tiny side effect
(angryaussie.wordpress.com, 127 saves, 100 inbound links, 1533 diggs)
- From the article: ” –You may feel an urgent need to go to the bathroom. Until you have a sense of any treatment effects, it’s probably a smart idea to wear dark pants, and bring a change of clothes with you to work.–“
- [CODE] Escaping From Gilligan’s Island
(codinghorror.com, 122 saves, 32 inbound links, 8 diggs)
- Good list of the classic mistakes in *all* programming/tech projects
- [DESIGN] Comics: Not just for laughs!
(boxesandarrows.com, 76 saves, 33 inbound links)
- Using comic strips to show user scenario design.
- [BLOG] 9 More Lessons for Would-Be Bloggers
(bokardo.com, 65 saves, 33 inbound links)
- Follow-up to the previous 7 lessons. Stephen Covey watch out!
(mikeindustries.com, 57 saves, )
- [CODE/LOLCAT] LOLPython
(dalkescientific.com, 57 saves, 21 inbound links)
- Working lolcode parser.
- [BUSINESS] The Pmarca Guide to Big Companies, part 1: Turnaround!
(blog.pmarca.com, 36 saves, 33 inbound links)
- How to turn a company around. A lot of this lessons are applicable to other fields as well, such as starve problems and feed opportunities.
- [GAMES] PC: Spore Slip Sliding Away
(kotaku.com, 25 saves, 87 inbound links, 3122 diggs)
- Spore on hold indefinitely. Is PC gaming dead yet?
- [CODE] Creating My Own Personal Hell
(eddiesguy.blogspot.com, 14 saves, 7 inbound links)
- Why programming by yourself isn’t as sweet of a deal as you might think it would be.
- [BLOG] How To Get More Links to Your Remarkable Blog Posts
(seoblackhat.com, 10 saves, 15 inbound links, 9 diggs)
- How to ask for links to your blog without getting marked as spam.
- [FACEBOOK] The Art of War: Facebook’s Strategic Plan for Ultimate Victory
(technosailor.com, 8 saves, 20 inbound links, 60 diggs)
- How Facebook is becoming more successful than MySpace. I think it is the #1 social network in Canada now.
- [BLOG] Why Disable Blog Comments
(blogs.theage.com.au, 7 saves, 16 inbound links, 1 diggs)
- Are blog comments more work than they are worth?
- [BLOG] The 10 secrets of writing reviews that will keep readers coming back
(jonathandeamer.com, 7 saves, 7 inbound links, 3 diggs)
- Tips for writing reviews on blogs
- [BLOG] 10 reasons why blogging is like dating
(romancetracker.com, 5 saves, 57 inbound links, 5 diggs)
- And it’s not just because it leaves you staring at the ceiling feeling unsatisfied.
- [BLOG] Interview with Steve Pavlina
(dailyblogtips.com, 5 saves, 6 inbound links)
- Interview with an uber-problogger who makes over 40k a month!
- [MOVIES] Coming Soon to a Theater Near You: A Giant, Audience-Controlled Video Game
(bugbash.net, 2 saves, )
- Breakout in a movie theatre… the entire audience collaborates to move the paddle.
- [BLOG] I Don’t Like The Idea Of Fake Comments
(webomatica.com, 4 inbound links)
- If you don’t have any comments, should you fake it?
- //engtech … in lolcat
- RSS 2 LOLCATS – pretty nifty.
- [BLOG] Writing Headlines for Regular Readers, Search Engines, and Social Media
(copyblogger.com, 54 inbound links, 48 diggs)
- One of the top digger gives several examples of how he improves headlines to get responses.
- [BLOG] The 10 Second Rule: How to Write for Diagonal Readers
(copyblogger.com, 20 inbound links, 447 diggs)
- Power users speed read before really paying attention to something. How can you make sure you get their attention?
- [DIGG] 5 Signs Digg Has Peaked (and Is Now Declining)
(tropicalseo.com, 53 inbound links, 7 diggs)
- Has digg shot itself in the foot? Most stories are buried unless they follow very specific formulas.
This Week at Internet Duct Tape
- WordPress CSS Tip: Design for Sandbox Theme in a sandboxIn case you missed the last post, there is a CSS design contest using the Sandbox theme for WordPress. That post will explain what the heck it is all about. I’ll be the first to admit that I only know the tip of the iceberg when it comes to CSS design, but one ‘workhack’ that easily [...]
- Win Cash Prizes for your CSS Design for SandboxWeb pages (ie: what you are looking at right now) are composed of many things. If you think of web pages as a house, HTML is the foundation and structure while CSS is the aluminum siding, brickwork and paint. HTML stands for Hypertext Markup Language and CSS stands for Cascading Style Sheets. A…
- Gone Fishin(photo by alex)I’m gone for the next two weeks without internet access. I was too busy to line up guest bloggers this time, so you’ll just have to go through the past posts to get your fix. Most popular postsRandom postsAll posts by titlesTag cloud Shout Out to the CommentersI’d like to give a…
- Best of Feeds – 21 links – programming, code, development, geek, lolcatsTags: blogging, book, code, development, geek, humor, lolcats, programming, web2.0